Friday, March 20, 2009

Special Olympics, Special Needs Children - are they a joke?

Last night, our President (of the country) appeared on Leno. I didn't bother to watch. I don't like Leno and don't particularly like Obama, either. After watching a clip from the show this morning, I'm now convinced that the only difference between Obama and Osama is BS. I wouldn't normally be this MAD but our President made a little joke at the expense of special-needs children all across our country last night. I happen to be a parent of one of those children. My child has endured bullying at school, has come home crying because of what other children have said to him and has very few friends. He is a very lonely child and it is sad what these children have to live with; not only their disabilities but the treatment they receive from their peers. They are very special children. They give more love than we could ever give them....I'm convinced of that.

I am furious about the joke, so I wrote a letter to the President AND called the White House on BO's comment line. I told them that he owes every child in this country a public apology. I asked the rhetorical question, "how am I to explain this to my child?" (which my child didn't see this, but he may hear of it. Why should I have to explain something that the President of the U.S. should say about kids and the special olympics? The man is a nut job, I'm sorry. This is just ridiculous. He's not capable of running this country except into the ground. I wrote an editorial when he was sworn in that he was a nutcase and he is. I was right. I have tried to be nice and tried to make it all a joke but it is not.

Here is my letter to the President. This is for my son and for all those parents out there without the guts to write one for their children.

Dear President Obama,

I watched your appearance on the Jay Leno show last night. I was horrified at the joke you tried to make about bowling. This was at the expense of special-needs children all across this nation.

I am the mother of a special needs child. He is 12 years old. My husband and I adopted him when he was ten days old. He has the condition called Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. This is the leading known cause of birth defects. It is from maternal consumption of alcohol. He has permanent brain damage as well as physical defects. He has damage to his heart as well. I WISH he could participate in Special Olympics but he can hardly play outside as a result of his condition.

You have done the children of this country, who struggle every day with their disabilities, NO FAVORS by your little joke that was not the least bit funny, Mr. President. I was absolutely beyond shocked that you were so callous and uncaring to have done that. You know the first thing that came to my mind was that Sarah Palin would NEVER have said such a thing. She understands completely what we go through each and every day. It's obvious that you are completely out of touch with reality.

I'm sorry if this seems disrespectful, because I don't mean for it to be. But, you have spent more money than any President in history, this is MY money that I could be using for my son, who will never be able to take care of himself after I'm gone. There will be no one to care for him and I'm sure you don't even care about that. I'm sure you haven't even thought of people like him. I'm sure because of your comment; your little joke. I don't think you make any mistakes with your words. I think you say everything you mean and mean everything you say.

I think you are a dangerous man and I think the people who voted you into the office you now hold made a terrible mistake. I think you need to give what you are doing to this country a lot more thought than you have done the last 60 days. It is obvious to me and millions of people that there was a huge mistake and I'm sure that many people wish they could take their vote back.

You now have many mothers and fathers of special-needs children very upset and there's nothing you can do to make it right. What would you do if someone said something so terrible that hurt your daughters? Something that they had to deal with on a day-to-day basis but was said by someone you never expected to say, someone in authority, someone your child looked up to? How do you explain that to your child?

You owe us a public apology and I expect to get one.

Sincerely Yours,




Quote of the Day:

"It was like the Special Olympics or something." — President Barack Obama to "The Tonight Show" host Jay Leno

No comments: