Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Younger Generation and other musings

Things Have Really Changed ....or What Happened While I Was Becoming Grown Up?

I know we've probably all stopped and wondered, at one time or another, how times have changed. We may or may not admit this. Some time or another, we will face this fact; times have changed. I came to fully realize this fact during this last Presidential election. I found myself on the side with the "old fogeys." Most young people were for "the other candidate" - the one for "change". I found myself asking.....he's for change but he doesn't say what kind of change he's for....and then I asked myself, no one else is asking that question. I'm a reasonable person, I'm a journalist, I have an inquisitive mind; no one else is asking this? This is just ONE example of the great divide I see....

Then there's the cell phone thing. I use a cell phone. I love my cell phone. I HAVE A SMART PHONE. My younger daughter, who is a Sr. in college, LOVES to text. We text one another. I'm not big on texting, but I'm into it for her. I call her, she never calls me back. After a few hours of this, I'll text her. After not getting a text back, nor a call back, I begin to panic. It's a "mom thing". Suddenly, I get either a text or a telephone call that goes something like this, "MOM! Why are you blowing my cell phone up? I mean, I was in class and then I had to go get my hair cut and I was busy with friends and I was going to call you back but you just keep blowing my cell phone up!" I'm at a loss for words. I didn't know I blew her cell phone up. I say, "honey, I'll buy you a new cell phone, I didn't mean to break it! She just sighs and hangs up on me. What did I do?

See what I mean? I'm just a Mom. This is unacceptable! No one gave me the new rules. I'm hip. I'm a photographer, I work with hip people. They accept me, I'm cool. This is all new territory. Besides that, I would never have spoken to my parents like that. I still don't! My own mother doesn't text and she doesn't "blow my cell phone up!" We have a genteel relationship. If we get out of sorts with one another, we simply quit speaking for an appropriate length of time, say, a couple of years.

I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks of these things? Kids! They should come with instruction manuals! Kids! We should be able to return them!

I never got "Mom of the year" and now I guess I now why!


And here's my "thought of the day", it makes sense to me.....in this world that makes less and less sense:

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

No comments: