Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's Been a Wild Tea Party!

And I have one heck of a hangover (not really). Anyone from the South knows that sweet tea doesn't give anyone a hangover. We had sweet tea at our parties. We had lots of PEOPLE at our Tea Parties is what we had! Nashville had 15,000 people just show up! They just kept coming! And they were ready for a protest!

Atlanta had about 10,000 people, Hoover, Alabama had about 10,000 people (of course, the media UNDER REPORTS THESE NUMBERS but be assured that there were many more than what these people said - how do they know? They weren't there! Many of us were!). We had a blast. Best of all, Huntsville, Alabama; home of rocket scientists, NASA, Marshall Space Flight Center and honey NO ONE EVER GETS EXCITED IN THIS TOWN - NO ONE! People think the cemetery stroll is a big deal (it really is, we have a very historic one here, I'm laughing a LOT as I type this) but 3,500 people showed up in the middle of the day on a Wednesday for the Tea Party here! We thought we'd be lucky to get 500. It was amazing! And you should've seen these people, they were hilarous and serious, too.

I have photographs! I took my 12 year old son. I talk of him often on this blog. We homeschool. I thought, this will be a civics lesson and I had to do photography anyway. He is on the autism spectrum so he can be pretty funny sometimes about things but I didn't expect him to act weird. We were there, it was very packed and I had about another 30 minutes to go. He looked up at me, with big tears in his eyes and said, "Mom, you told me this was a party. This is more like a BOYCOTT and I'm SCARED! I wanna go home..........!" I tried really hard to tell him that I had a job to do and it was okay, these were very nice people and all ages and they were cheering for what was being said, not yelling because they were mad (well, sort of they were at times), but there was NO comforting this kid. He was getting into that "zone" that anyone who has an autistic child knows what I'm speaking of here....I just gave up.

So, I'm going to try to post a photo here for you. I have several up at Flickr. To be honest, I'm a professional photographer and I've never used any of those things (Flickr, Shutterbug, etc.) and I am very illiterate when it comes to these things. So if it doesn't work, I'll try again later. I'm whupped.

I think the cause is right for these protests and the people certainly are sincere. There are people from all walks of life. And now we are all labeled as right-wing nuts (threats to our beloved country). What a bunch of .....please! The beltway pirates are in Washington, D.C. (I saw that on a sign yesterday).

So, I have to get back in the groove tomorrow. No more "civics" lessons for Will like that. He didn't like it too much. He doesn't like trips to the mall, either.

Huntsville AL Tax Day Tea Party

No comments: